Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Woman and Her Dog



This real photo postcard of a woman and her dog has no information on the back. The woman must have loved her dog a lot to have this type of photo and postcard made. The dog looks like a Staffordshire Terrier, and he seems very well-behaved, sitting still and looking at the camera. (I don't know what is on the blurry right side of the photo, but it looks like a ghost dog to me!)

I always am intrigued, when looking at photos of people and their dogs, by how much people and their dogs resemble each other. Looking at the two faces here, I see similarities in the way the eyes look and how the shape of the dog's ears resembles the shape of the woman's hairstyle.





It seems like people tend to choose dogs that look like themselves in some way. There have been studies done on which features are most significant in matching photos of people and their dogs. A Japanese study quoted by several sources (eg. Vox and Huffington Post) found that the eyes were most significant in matching photos correctly.

Visit Sepia Saturday
For More Vintage Images
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/12/sepia-saturday-257-6-december-2014.html

17 comments:

  1. I agree that the woman looks like her dog, or vice versa, but not sure about the dog's ears ressembling her hair sttle - would be different if she had pigtails, or bunches as you might call them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a nice postcard, but I don't think they really look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing dogs sat still long enough to be successfully photographed back then, & I do see a bit of resemblance between them - the eyes especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a similarity in the eyes, mouth and general expression, but I agree with Jo about the ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the ears are not VERY similar, but they are more similar than they would be if they were sticking up or hanging long and flat.

      Delete
  5. I can never get a nice sharp photo like this using a hand held camera. Perhaps I should get a tripod :-) A lovely study of a woman and her dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regardless of ay perceived similarity, this is a fine shot. I always enjoy seeing pictures of people fom the past with their canine companions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm going to have to go back through old family photos--just to see if I look like any of our dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose there is a similarity. Very nice old photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lady had a much tinier waist as opposed to the dog....hehe hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not having a dog of my own it would be hard for me to look at all the dogs I know to make a comparison like this. Like the head shots better than the full postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is dressed like she was a strong, self-assured woman and she has a dog to match.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love old photographs with dogs and this one is wonderful! This woman seems to be very proud of dog and the dog must have been very well behaved to sit so still for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes I studied the faces and yes, the eyes have it, definitely similar between woman and dog...you know we have 2 old chairs from my late aunt that belonged to my grandparents and a photo of my Mom seated in one in 1930 these chairs have a similar top shape to the one in this postcard. ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting photo - on so many levels. I am really intrigued by what she is wearing around her neck. It could almost be a lasso.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...