Wednesday, September 22, 2010

VTT - Apple Jars & Apple Butter



Fall is a time for apples. I collect apple things, so today I am showing some of my apple thingies.

Above is a postcard that has a recipe for apple butter on the back. The postcard is part of a series of postcards with recipes from the Pennsylvania Dutch Country (©1981).

Below are two of my apple butter/jam/jelly jars. I have seven different apple condiment jars. I am not sure they are all vintage, though they do all look vintage. These two have Lefton labels on the bottom and are made in Japan. Lefton imported most of their products from Japan until the mid-1970s. Some of the jars, including these, have notches cut in the lid for a small spoon or spreader. Similar jars were made in the shape of other fruits.



Here is the recipe for Apple Butter that is printed on the back of the postcard:

APPLE-BUTTER

2 quarts of cider
3-1/2 lbs. of cooking apples
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons each ground allspice — cloves
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Boil cider for 15 minutes. Add sliced apples and cook until soft. Force through a sieve to remove skins and seeds. Return to kettle — add spices, sugar and salt. Cook slowly until thick and smooth, stirring to prevent scorching. Pour into jars or crock. Makes about 4 pints.


I'm participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday

18 comments:

  1. Your apple jars look vintage. I have not seen any like them in awhile. Wish I had a jar of your apple butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those jars are adorable, the recipe looks good, too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really neat postcard, and the jars are just too cute. I would love to have one like them...will have to keep my eyes open as it will soon be apple butter time here in our part of VA.

    Hugs,
    Genie @ buttonsforbaga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your apples! I have a vintage apple cookie jar. I also make apple butter on the stove, but my recipe is a little different than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great recipe! Sounds delish! Love your apples, I used to have a kitchen full of apples, but changed the theme. I did keep the vintage things. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What i'm craving now is a carmel apple. Love this time of year, your jars are really neat. Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm....the apple butter looks delish! Almost like taffy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little apple jars. We just went to an Apple Butter Festival in a small town about an hour away. Have a great day. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man the apple butter sounds great and the apple containers are darling. Pop over for a visit since I could not get my link up. I have never tried to make AB but I just might now. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. they are very cute. the recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the jars. I have one somewhere. I will try the recipe. I also have a jar like those for mustard. It's really cute. I enjoyed your blog. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I luv apple butter! But never had it homemade before. Thanks for stopping by....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for that recipe, it's the very next thing I'll make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apple butter on tast is one of myfavorite things!! Love your apple condiment jars!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those apple butter jars are so cute. You have inspired me to make some apple butter soon!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the apple butter recipe and I am anxious to try making some. Now I need some of those apple jars to put it in. Love your collection idea.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so making that apple butter! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for posting the apple butter recipe. I will have to try that this weekend. Planning on going apple pickin tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...