Wednesday, September 15, 2010

VTT - Crazy Quilt Made From Vintage Neckties



The first picture is a postcard showing a detail of an old crazy quilt that was photographed during the Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project in 1978. The project was conducted by the American Folklife Center, in cooperation with the National Park Service.

In 1985, I read the book Crazy Quilts by Penny McMorris and was inspired to make my own crazy quilt using neckties. At that time it was possible to find many fancy wide ties for cheap prices in thrift stores. Many of the ties of the 1970s were wide and had fancy woven patterns that reminded me of the fancy fabrics and embroidery used during the crazy quilt craze (about 1880 to 1910).

My quilt is made from polyester ties which I found more satisfactory than silk because they were easily washed. I took the ties apart and placed batches of them in a zippered pillow case to wash them in a washing machine. After pressing, the ties were ready to use.




The quilt is approximately 60" X 74". It is made up or twenty 13-1/2" squares. Each patchwork square was made on a muslin backing. The patches were machine stitched in place. After the first patch, each additional patch was added by placing it against the previous patch with right sides together. A seam was sewn through both patches and the backing, then the new patch was flipped right side up and pressed.

Solid color ties were used for the border. Simple embroidery stitches were used between the individual patches and between squares. Embroidery floss was used within the squares. Number 5 pearl cotton was used between the squares and on the border. The quilt backing is a forest green flannel sheet. The top and the back are tied together with pearl cotton every 6-3/4", with the ties showing only on the back.



The book Crazy Quilts by Penny McMorris was published in 1984. It is probably the most interesting books on quilts I have seen, and I recommend it to anyone interested in reading about or making a crazy quilt.



I'm participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday

24 comments:

  1. Your crazy quilt is absolutely stunning! I could study it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible creation!! I'm having trouble imagining some of those fabrics on ties...oh, the 70s. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you with that quilt. I have several vintage and new, but never saw one made from ties. I have seen the crazy quilts in fabrics and they are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is STUNNING!! I LOVE the idea of the crazy quilt...what a wonderful way to show off ones stitching abilities :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color combinations are so stricking. I couls look at it for hours!

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE your crazy quilt, it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful quilt and a very interesting-looking book. I really appreciate you detailing how you created the quilt---I think I could do one myself now! :)

    I want to let you know that every time I'm out shopping for antiques and come across postcards, I think of you and your blog! In fact, you've inspired me toward a new collection/tradition. For the past couple of months, I've been collecting very old Christmas postcards. All the ones I've found are pre-1920s. I'm planning to put them in a vintage bowl or basket on the table at Christmas time and swap them around each day so my kids have something new and neat to look at and enjoy. I think they'll make great conversation starters for company. I've found some really neat ones with great messages on the back. Several came with clear covers to protect them so I'll try and find more so they'll last for a lot longer.

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Have a wonderful ViNtAgE tHiNgIe ThUrSdAy!!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Goodness, this quilt is so unique and interesting. The work in it is remarkable. You are so talented. I love those old ties, remind me of my late father. He had a closet full of them. I wish I had them! Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing. I love crazy quilts but have never seen one made of ties...love it! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your crazy quilt is just perfect! The colours are beautiful and the different blocks so interesting. I have a plastic bag full of my late father's old ties, both silk and plyester, just waiting for the perfect project. This inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific crazy quilt! I just love all of the interesting weaves in the fabrics-I would never have thought of ties- and the different embroidery stitches you used on the seams. You know I love crazy quilts and this one is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures. I have never quilted but admire those that have the patience.Praying you have a blessed week. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is amazing and so wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a crazy quilt made in the 1890s (it's dated). It's fun to look at each block and the stitches. I bought that crazy quilt book right after it was published. At the time I was not a quilter, but I had to have that book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love your ties quilt!! I'm amazed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really unique quilt. We used to have lots of ties around but the hubby got rid of them all.
    Happy VTT
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great crazy quilt. I have a large bag of neckties I have saved for some time. My purpose in saving them was to make a quilt similar to yours. Thank you so much for sharing the process and the book that was your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!! Love the crazy quilts made from ties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing and very creative quilt...i simply like it....The thread work and the Patches work is up to the mark......performed it very well done way.......
    Embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great quilt. You are so talented! And what a great way to recycle all the old ties you see at Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I own a crazy quilt from the 1890's or early 1900's - but I have to admit that yours is much prettier. What an amazing job you did on this! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the quilts, especially the postcard one!
    My husband is getting into making quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found your blog while looking for photos of quilts made from ties, and I included a photo and a link from your site on my blog at http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.com/2011/04/ties.html. Please let me know if that is unacceptable and I will remove the photo and link. I love the crazy quilt hanging in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...