The Centennial of Engineering stamp commemorated the 100th anniversary of the American Society of Civil Engineers which was founded in 1852. The stamp was issued in Chicago on September 6, 1952, during the convocation of the Centennial of Engineering at the Conrad Hilton Hotel. The design features a wooden bridge typical of the 1850s, New York City's George Washington Bridge, which opened in 1931, and the emblem of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
The George Washington Bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the Hudson River, connecting New York City and New Jersey. The bridge now has an upper level carrying four lanes in each direction and a lower level with three lanes in each direction. There is a path on each side of the upper level for pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
The George Washington Bridge was opened to traffic in 1931 with a six-lane roadway. During the first full year of operation in 1932 more than 5.5 million vehicles used the bridge. As traffic demand increased, additional construction was necessary. The two center lanes of the bridge, which had been left unpaved in the original construction, were opened to traffic in 1946. The six lanes of the lower roadway were completed in 1962. (source: Port Authority of NY & NJ)
This is a post for Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog