|MPLS. MUNICIPAL XMAS TREE 1913, 74 FEET HIGH, 2500 LIGHTS|
This postcard is a photo of the 1913 Minneapolis Municipal Christmas Tree. The postcard was made by H. E. Fister, whose name and address is embossed in the top right corner.
|PHOTO POST CARDS, H. E. FISTER, 2812 – 38TH AVE. SO.|
This was the first municipal Christmas tree in Minneapolis. It was placed outdoors in Gateway Park in downtown Minneapolis. The T. K. Gray Drug Co., seen behind the tree on the left, was located on Hennepin Avenue between First and Second Streets. The tree was decorated with toys, over 2500 lights, and topped by a great star. The formal dedication of the tree took place on Christmas Eve, and there was a special service on Christmas morning. The tree drew large crowds with a series of eight evening programs of vocal and instrumental music.
It was expected that many more municipal trees would follow in subsequent years. Mild weather prevailed in 1913 which allowed the festivities to be held outdoors. The 1914 municipal tree, the second and apparently the last, was indoors at the Arcadia roller skating rink opposite City Hall on Fifth Street.
Visit Sepia Saturday
For More Vintage Holiday Images