Friday, June 6, 2014

Mammy's Donut Waffle Shop



Your Trip to Atlantic City Is Not Complete
Without a Visit to
Mammy's
Famous Shops

Mammy's Restaurant was located in Atlantic City at Boardwalk and Pennsylvania Ave. at the entrance to Steeplechase Pier. Mammy's Restaurant was most famous for donuts and waffles. The boardwalk-facing window allowed people to see the mechanized production of donuts being fried and sugared and then served to patrons in the restaurant or offered as take out. The restaurant closed in the late 1970s. (source)

Today is National Doughnut Day which is celebrated on the first Friday of June each year. The Doughnut Day event was created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the men and women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I. The doughnut (a.k.a. "donut") is an edible, torus-shaped piece of dough which is deep-fried and sweetened. Many American doughnut stores offer free doughnuts on National Doughnut Day. (source: Wikipedia).




11 comments:

  1. I've never heard that story about doughnuts, and I would never, ever dunk a doughnut - oh, wai,t is that where Dunkin Donuts got it's name? I don't think I've seen any in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know that story. You are just a wealth of wonderful knowledge. How did you know it was Donut day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have the same card also. I didn't remember the name of the shop being Manny's.

      Delete
    2. They told about Donut Day on the morning news today. Plus, I should have noticed when I looked up special days.

      Delete
  3. I love this! How quaint--the gentle art of dunking! I used to love Dunkin' Doughnuts. There aren't many left in Oregon. When we were back East a few years ago, it seemed there was a Dunkin' Doughnut shop on every corner. It was odd, though--none of them had heard of a maple bar before. Just in case you've not heard of one, it is a doughnut bar, with maple frosting on top. They're delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we have any Dunkin Donuts here and the more I read the post, the less I can remember how we spell doughnut/donut. With the "gh" I think. We would be more inclined to dunk biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was odd that was spelled both ways on the card.

      Delete
  5. I remember a Dunkin' Donuts in Peoria, Illinois, when I was working my first job out of high school. They had a sign that said the etiquette of dunking donuts was to nver go past the first knuckle! I thought that was funny then and I still do. And Postcardy, would you let me use ;your postcard and info on the Big Four in Chillicothe as a post on my blog? I would give you credit! I knew those ladies when I was youngand had done a post on them a short time back, also. Love the picture of the Harmony House. Thanks in advance. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to used my postcard and info. What is the link to the post on your blog?

      Delete
  6. I prefer the dainty grip and a dainty dip for my donut. My husband and I were with the Salvation Army for a long time. (We even wore the uniform :) They are wonderful!! What I love about them is that the money you donate, goes where it is needed, not to some CEO's paycheck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...