Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vintage Christmas Monday - Nimble Nicks

Nimble Nicks are little Santa's helpers created for use on postcards and other paper products by the Whitney company of Worcester, Massachusetts. The Nimble Nicks wear little hooded Santa suits. They have holly leaf wings in back and a blonde curl in the middle of their foreheads. They are childlike in appearance, but are smaller than real children.

The Nimble Nicks postcards were probably made between 1915 and the early 1920s. Three of the Nimble Nicks postcards shown here are dated 1916.










Whitney postcards are usually referred to as "Whitney Made" because of the Whitney Made/Worcester Massachusetts postcard logo on the back of the card. The majority of Whitney Made postcards are lightly embossed and feature cute children. The postcards were manufactured in the United states, mostly somewhat later than the imported holiday postcards that were popular during the postcard fad years before World War I.



I'm participating in Vintage Christmas Mondays.
Also see my December Vintage Thingies Thursdays posts for more vintage Christmas stuff.


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful :) Wish you merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love old postcards and vintage pictures...may i put you on my bloglist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those postcards are absolutely adorable! I've never heard of Nimble Nicks, but I certainly will be on the lookout for some. These would look so great tucked in amongst all of the other decorations!
    Happy VCM!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vintage postcards are wonderful... so many memories of days gone by... Bisous... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is amazing and enlightening! I know a post card dealer and know will be on the hunt for these cards! Thanks for sharing not only your knoweldge, but the charming cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the Nimble Nicks postcards. I have never seen any while digging through old postcards. Thanks for the information about them as well. I really like reading about the history of the cards.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you warmest Vintage Christmas Monday wishes from Boxwood Cottage in Germany
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning!
    I love your Nimble Nicks! Such sweet li'l guys just PERFECT for the holiday season. Now that I know what they are, I'll have to keep a lookout. (Like leprechauns ... always hiding, I imagine, lol!)
    Hugs and have a SUPER Vintage Christmas Monday!
    Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are absolutely precious! They remind me of cupie dolls.

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely precious! I've never heard of the Nimble Nicks but I will be on the lookout for them at yard sales or estate sales. I would love to add them to garland.
    Many thanks for sharing this new concept.
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your postcards are adorable and I love the history behind them
    Happy VCM!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these Nimble Nick postcards! They are just angelic! Thank you for joining Vintage Christmas Mondays! Looking forward to next week's post! xo Joan, your hostess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comment! You really have a lovely collection of vintage postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted you to know that I featured you in my latest Vintage Christmas Monday recap. Joan, your hostess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...