Wednesday, December 9, 2009

VTT - Yesterdays' Holidays



Today's postcard is one of the prettiest Christmas postcards I have. It was published by PFB early in the twentieth century. I think it really captures the feeling of what I imagine an old-fashioned Christmas was like.

The pages below are from the 1957
An American Annual of Christmas Literature and Art published by Augsburg Publishing House of Minneapolis, Minnesota. The picture opposite the title page shows a "modern" Christmas at Grandmother's House.



The other pages are a picture story by the artist
Lee Mero in the form of old timers' reminiscences about Christmases "way back when." I hope you have time to read the story. I think it is interesting to see how the "modern" 1950s are compared to earlier times. Now, more than fifty years later, the 1950s are "way back when."













Vintage Thingies Thursdays

22 comments:

  1. Postcard Book is very interesting!
    You are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have the loveliest postcards..true!..i love those vintage magazines and i'm gonna read yours right now..gotta love the 50s!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that postcard too. The colors are wonderful and I love the candles lighting the tree. Beautiful image.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the postcard. You're right - an image from what I (too) would have imagined from a long ago Christmas. Love the tree with the candles.

    And your Nimble Nicks! So cute! I want, no need, them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the 50s were so elegant...and so Christmassy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great book and sweet postcard.
    happy holidays~
    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  7. That postcard portrays a romantic Christmas. Nice image!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the postcard! Can you imagine having lit candles on your tree?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very romantic Christmas postcard! Its rich with color and design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is a great post card!! The book is so neat! I found a little children's Carol book in my piano music the other day. It has the sweetest vintage illustrations! I will have to take pictures and post them- great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is definitely a gorgeous card; the tree is what I always imagine when I think of a Victorian Christmas. Love the lady's dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, this is a great post... I love the 'art' of it...does that make sense. Its so visually interesting to me.

    happy vtt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The story tells the time, doesn't it? Wow, to think of Florida full of 1950's style campers is fun.
    I agree your postcard is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas celebrations have changed haven't they, though not altogether for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old postcards - you have quite a collection.

    And the colors in the book are very interesting, aren't they?

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what I wish I had about "yesterday's holidays?"

    THE SERVANTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not seen some of these vintage cards. They really made for an interesting post for VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tree in your postcard is beautiful. But somehow the lady is holding the man's head as if she is looking for a loose or sore tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first post card is so gorgeous! And what a beautiful book.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...