Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stamp Show Greetings & Triangle Stamps





When I was young and collected stamps, I was really impressed by triangle stamps from other countries. I was used to seeing only the rectangular stamps that we had in the United States. I no longer collect stamps, but I do collect postcards that illustrate stamps.

Here I have two postcards made to be sent from stamp shows in the early 1960s. Each of these includes a triangle stamp, as well as a wide variety of topics from various countries. The first one is probably a little older than the second one which is clearly from 1963. Both have the message "Greetings from my favorite Stamp Show" printed on the back.



The first triangle stamp was the one issued by the Cape of Good Hope in 1853.



The United States didn't issue any triangle stamps until MUCH later. The first ones were the Pacifica 97 stamps issued in 1997. These were issued to celebrate the international stamp show Pacific '97. There were two stamps--a blue one featuring a sailing ship and a red one featuring a stagecoach.



The only other triangle stamp issued in the United States is the one issued in 2007 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Settlement of Jamestown, Virginia by English colonists in 1607. This stamp shows a painting of the three ships that carried the colonists. The first fort built by the settlers was shaped like a triangle, as is the stamp.



I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog




7 comments:

  1. A great post. I can see the appeal as a child in triangular stamps. I don't recall any triangular shaped ones for the UK. My contribution to this week was a larger than usual stamp produced in 1980.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triangular stamps were also one of my favorites. I like the older issue from USA, would be nice to have it in my collection. You can see here 2 triangular butterfly stamps from Romania: http://www.postbeeld.com/en/stamps/view/sro1918-butterflies-6v/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a picture of the Cape of Good Hope stamp always used to appeared in Childrens stamp albums. The US triangles are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I've seen any triangular stamps recently, not that I pay a huge amount of attention. As a child I collected for a while and seem to remember Hungary being a source of triangular stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I think that the blue Cape of Good Hope is a valuable stamp?
    Triangular stamps have always been among my favourites,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen the first two USA stamps you show. However when I say the Jamestown stamp the first time I nearly fell over - the US issuing a triangular stamp! Amazing. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...