Thursday, September 29, 2011

Comical American Beauty Pinups




These postcards are from the "American Beauty Series" of 10 subjects made by Tichnor (note: some of the cards list Asheville Post Card Co. as the publisher, and some do not have any company name on the card). The ones featured here all have what I would call a come-hither look (an alluring or seductive look or glance, usually done by a woman). They are slightly risque, but basically good clean fun (especially the first one).

Apparently this type of card appealed to women as well as men, as indicated by the message on the first card. That card was sent from Tiger, Georgia in 1942.

Dear Kathy,
This is just for fun. "This," meaning the picture. I'm at my Grandma Wood's in Tiger, Ga. I'm having a good time.
See you soon,
Ruth Ann







The Sepia Saturday 94 image suggested so many topics that I had a hard time deciding what to use. I decided that one of the postcards I was considering was more appropriate for my Postcard Funnies blog. I called it Supporting a Woman and posted it there. It has two of the subjects popular on comic linen postcards: jackasses and fat people.

Visit Sepia Saturday for More Vintage Images




18 comments:

  1. These are what we would call rather ‘saucy’. I wonder if they are modelled on famous people. The last one looks a bit like Jane Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The topic for the next meeting of my writers' group is sauciness. I had already decided to write a piece on English saucy postcards and now I've seen the ones you've shown there is no way I am going to change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great postcards, with very '30s looking illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a delightful way to illustrate....sauch and stunning pinups! very cool postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not all saucy postcards are this fun. this is a great bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, some poses remind me of Betty Boop. The colors were very good. Didn't think skirts were that short in 1942, but that's artistic license, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just been reading an essay by George Orwell on "The Art of Donald McGill," which is very much along the lines of these cards, although these don't have that distinctively pre-war English flavour to them.

    Bob you must read that essay - it's very illuminating. He is not too complimentary, but his last sentence speaks volumes, and marks him in time: "The corner of the human heart that [McGill's post cards] speak for might easily manifest itself in worse forms, and I for one should be sorry to see him go."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seaside comic postcards are such a great tradition. And I was pleased to discover when I was in Scarborough last weekend that the tradition still survives (just about) although I suspect it is fading fast. I must confess I went and bought a couple of dozen cards - just to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these are great cards. I don't think these are quite as saucy as Donald McGill's. He was charged and found guilty under the Obscene Publications Act in 1954.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I am totally curious about Donald McGill and seaside comic postcards. For these, I would definitely buy a stamp! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I live in Asheville and have never come across these cards or the company. We are famous as a tourist destination though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures, I did't know these were already around in the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! They brightened my morning. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved these fun postcards, they are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super postcards. Good clean fun indeed !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never seen any of these. They're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...