Saturday, September 24, 2011

South Africa Stamps & Namibia



The postcard of a desert ghost town at Kolmanskop diamond Mine in Namibia was sent to me by a South African Postcrosser. The photo is ©1998 by Gerald Hoberman. The postcard has two Republic of South Africa stamps from the 2000 Flowers, Fishes, and Butterflies definitive series. These stamps picture the Coral Rockcod and the Karoo Violet.



Namibia was formerly known as South-West Africa and was administered by South Africa for much of the twentieth century. It became independent in 1990.

Below are two stamps from the South Africa definitive series of 1954. These are from my old stamp collection. At that time South Africa was the Union of South Africa. It became the Republic of South Africa in 1961.


I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog




11 comments:

  1. I have always dreamed about seeing an African safari w/ zebras and lions for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. South Africa has some marvellous stamps featuring wild animals. I have the Zebra you have shown but have not seen that lion stamp before. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. South Africa has much richness of the natural world, wonderful to see it on stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the zebra and the lion. My father used to work in Africa but I don't know where all his stamps went, possibly to his nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Violtes are beautiful. thanks for the links, and thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stamps with the lion and zebra are wonderful. I’ve been encouraged by your posts to have a go myself this week! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely collection. My favourite is the fish stamp because of the vibtant colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting card and stamps..See my MCs from RSA and former bantustans: http://dorincard.blogspot.com/search/label/South%20Africa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with what Bob said... there are lots of gorgeous stamps that feature wild animals. The stamps I have are cartoonish drawings of the big 5 wild animals. The animals look playful and tame :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...