Saturday, September 1, 2012

Grandma Moses Stamp


A Colorano Maximum Card

Grandma Moses (Ann Mary Robertson Moses, 1860 - 1961) was honored on a 6¢ stamp of the American Folklore series issued on May 1, 1969. The stamp was issued in connection with Senior Citizens Month, honoring all older Americans. It reproduced a detail from one of her paintings, "July Fourth," a painting that had been donated to the White House. The scene includes a baseball game with spectators.

Grandma Moses started painting late in her life. She died at the age of 101 in 1961, having produced more than 1,000 paintings in the last 25 years of her life. Her early paintings sold for only a few dollars. The most she was paid in her lifetime was $1000 for a painting of the Eisenhower Farm (1956) to honor President Eisenhower. At the time the Grandma Moses stamp was issued, it was reported that collectors were paying as much as $10,000 for her paintings. In November 2006, her work Sugaring Off (1943), became her highest selling work at US $1.2 million.







This is a post for Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog



9 comments:

  1. Great card and stamp. I really like her style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Grandma Moses artworks. Love the stamp! I don't have a stamp of her or her works but my in-laws sent me a Grandma Moses postcard on my birthday!

    Enjoy your Sunday!


    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really is sad that the work of so many artists becomes valuable only after their death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Havent heard of Grandma Moses before, so thanks for sharing this! I agree with VioletSky...sad that so many great artists start being appreciating after their death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of her as well. Thanks for sharing the video - good fun. I shall look out for that stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be great to have one of her painting even if it is only thru stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour of the card makes the stamp really stand out. I enjoyed looking at the variety of her paintings in the video. I always wondered why she was called Grandma Moses, now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. being from New england I am familiar with her work. thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've learnt something today. What lovely paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...