Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Dutch Boy Painter



Dutch Boy Paint has been around for more than 100 years. It was originally a product of The National Lead Co. which was founded in 1907. This postcard is copyright 1906 by National Lead Co. A Dutch Boy was chosen to symbolize the company's method for creating high-quality paint products known as the "Dutch Process." That process originated with two chemists in 16th century Holland.

The image of the Dutch Boy on the postcard was reproduced from an oil painting by Lawrence C. Earle that was commissioned for promotional purposes. The model for the painting was actually a nine-year-old Irish-American boy who lived near the artist. According to the official Dutch Boy website, the Dutch Boy logo has changed seven times since 1907. The style of the logos varied but all of them featured the Dutch Boy wearing overalls, a hat, and clogs. The current Dutch Boy is like the original.

The other versions of the Dutch Boy logo are shown on the Dutch Boy website, and a variety of examples of its use are shown in the Gallery of Dutch Boy Ads and Posters.


For More Vintage Images



16 comments:

  1. Although I've never been a fan of Dutch Boy paint, they certainly win for a memorable name and logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I can vouch for the quality of Dutch paint :-)
    It is amazing how much the first logo resembles the current one. There must be a certain marketing strategy behind that move. Something like "our quality did not change"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish companies wouldn't try to modernize their logos. It's usually for the worse.
    But I guess they have to keep the graphic artists busy.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool postcard. I enjoyed the history about Dutch Boy paint too.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see a product that has survived over 100 years without too much essential change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always admired the quality of the artwork that was used in advertising back then. It gave some very talented artists a chance to show their stuff and put some bread on the table, as well. Great post card. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the original look, but the other ones are nice too. They didn't go overboard with the modernization in the way that Campbell's Soup and Betty Crocker did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating card. Given that lead would appear to be a basic ingredient of the paint one can see why it was only carefree youths who would make use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder whether the National Lead Co onlyproduced lead based paint back when the Dutch Boy first appeared. Nice painting though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card - a portrait I had not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always learn something on Saturday! Dutch process paint... I had only heard of Dutch process cocoa. Of course I spend more time thinking about chocolate than paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've scraped enough lead-based paint off of old houses to wish this Dutch boy, and especially the National Lead Co., had stayed in Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a good [house] painter,
    but I would never wear clogs!!!
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am familiar with the painting but never head of the paint. Very interesting story for sure. Great to see the then and now.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intersting history. I like the original image best. The 60's and 70's images were my least favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd forgotten about Dutch Boy paints. Probably doesn't have the pizazz that the public wants today. I am however happy to see that Speedy Alka Seltzer has been brought back. Now I fear someone will CGI the Dutch Boy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...