Thursday, September 27, 2012

Three Boys Wearing Hats



This real photo postcard of three boys wearing hats was addressed to Miss Laura Ness in Litchfield, Minnesota. It was signed "From Your Friend Emil." The postcard was in an eBay lot with several other postcards from an estate located in or near Meeker County, Minnesota (Litchfield area).

This postcard is addressed, but not stamped and postmarked. I have two other postcards sent to Laura Ness--one sent to Strout, Minnesota in 1908 and the other sent to Litchfield, Minnesota in 1918. With this information, I thought I would be able to find Laura in a census, but I couldn't. The closest I came was a 2007 obituary for a man who was born in 1928 and was possibly her son.

Addendum--Information about Laura Ness from  dawn-in-nz:
I found her in the 1910 census living in Litchfield, MN, she was aged 18, parents Martin & Hannah. On ancestry she's listed in the index under 'NEAS'. She's still in Litchfield in 1920 & by 1930 she had married Albert Strom.



For More Vintage Images




-

15 comments:

  1. Superb postcard, I'd have bought that if I'd seen it for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hats and the way the boys are wearing them. I imagine those boys were a handful and gave their mothers a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That style must have been the current rage -- very, very sporty! Love this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They seem like a nice and certainly well dressed team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boys seem as proud of their hats as the boys in the prompt picture are of their boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looks like they are mischievous and have some ideas up their sleeves. Great picture! I wonder if Laura was her middle name or something?

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute kids and great hats. I particularly like that polka dot tie.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful postcard and I would have definitely snagged it! Love the way they are dressed and their hats. Very nice entry for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting, and how cool is that, three boys, hats and no feet or shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I take my hat off to you for this. A fine postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice story about Laura Ness & her postcards. I found her in the 1910 census living in Litchfield, MN, she was aged 18, parents Martin & Hannah. On ancestry she's listed in the index under 'NEAS'. She's still in Litchfield in 1920 & by 1930 she had married Albert Strom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what those little boys were all dressed up for.

    Great postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these oval format RPPCs. They remind me of the way silent movies would sometimes close a scene. The boys look like friends rather than brothers. A great theme choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From boots to the other end - hats! They look very cool :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool reply to Alan's prompt!!
    They look quite dashing and proper now in their suits and hats, but I wonder what their daily lives were like...
    I smell trouble!!
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...