Thursday, April 2, 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday - A Little Sack Time


I went to a stamp show last weekend — partly to look for mail-related postcards and partly to see if I could sell my old stamp collection that I haven't touched since I was about twelve years old. I still have my stamp collection — it's too good to throw away but not good enough for a stamp dealer to buy.

I did find a few good postcards for my collection, including this one showing a historial mail carrier from a Postmark America series. On the front is the caption "Catching a little sack time in Cedar Falls at the turn of the Century." Cedar Falls is a town in Iowa. The lower right is marked Cedar Falls Historical Society. On the back is printed "The most special of all deliveries. a boy or a girl, this small package must be handled with special care." The postcard is from Postmark America at the Mall of America, Blomington, MN. ©1996 USPS.

The
Postmark America™ store at the Mall of America opened in 1996 and closed in 2004. It was the United States Postal Service's only retail store and was a big money loser. I know I visited the store a couple of times but didn't buy anything there. What I remember are the typical USPS souvenir collectibles and some unimpressive T-shirts.



Want to participate in Postcard Friendship Friday? Welcome!! Go read this on Marie's cpaphilblog.com to learn how to get started:)


8 comments:

  1. That's just so cute! I haven't had a chance to go to a postcard show for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that the Postal Service were involved in these special deliveries. Perhaps the stork needed some time off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I always thought it was the storks that brought to babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Your vintage postcard is very funny...
    The next week, I'll post a "PSH"(tuesday, perhaps).
    Bye and thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting saying - "hitting the sack". We use it in my family but I never thought about where it comes form - apparently it refers to a type of mattress which was essentially a sack of hay.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh... way Cute!
    This was a Terrific post!
    ~blessings~
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...