Thursday, February 3, 2011

PFF - Lovelights Love Story



I was trying to decide on something to post when I saw PostcardRoundup's post of a Lovelights postcard earlier today. His card has an interesting back with advertising for the "Lovelight" series of 20 subjects "JUST OFF THE PRESS." According to the book Walden's Post Card Enthusiast Revisited, Acmegraph of Chicago released 20 Lovelights designs in May 1909 with a "card-size electric light bulb with a girl and boy kissing in it, etc." and the Lovelights title in the corner.

I decided to look at the two Lovelights cards that I have had and ignored for many years. I discovered that the backs are quite interesting. Conincidentally, they were written in the first week of February--in 1910. On February 1, ? wrote to Mr. Poindexter. On February 4, Poin wrote (actually typed) to Miss Ruby Easum. There are some puzzling things about these cards. Is the sideways question mark some sort of code? What does the upside down stamp mean? Is Poin's message some sort of code? It doesn't make sense to ask about the weather in Amarillo if he is also in Amarillo. And why would he say he would bring a car of coal if very cold?



It is unusual to find both sides of a correspondence together, so I started wondering if these two people had also ended up married and together. Surprisingly, I found that Ruby had married a Poindexter (no first name, but likely the same one). This is what I found in the VITAL RECORDS - POTTER COUNTY, TX - DEATHS 1969 :
Poindexter, Ruby Easum ... 16-Aug-1969 ... F ... Widowed


13 comments:

  1. You've brought up some interesting questions regarding those two cards. What was the significance of the rather cryptic commentary? I find that probing into the personal history of vintage cards and photos can turn into a real detective story. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I saw Mark's card yesterday, but that's the first I've ever seen of these. They're fascinating...and this has a good story to go with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have these linked cards. The upside down stamp I think means "I love you". And they married, wow, I do like a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check back to see if a code breaker comments. The upside down stamp has some meaning - but I've forgotten.Poin appears to be a great kidder. Thanks for checking on the personal information about those lovebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting...maybe you could find a family member still around that would know. Love the postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't begin to think what the message could mean. Clearly it meant something special to the couple. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! Interesting cards and another mystery! Although it looks like you've solved part of it with Mrs. Poindexter. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps a personal code between these two? I have heard an upside down stamp means I love you, too. And very liekly a happy ending, how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting! I had never seen these before, but I think they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forensic deltiology...
    Some used upside-down stamp as a protest. Others had it carelessly applied like that by the counter clerk, from across the counter.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a kid, I remember that an upside down postage stamp did mean "I love you". As to the car of coal - back in those days houses were heated with coal so maybe he was offering to bring along a carful if the weather was cold. Pretty cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cards, especially the warm colours. You did some wonderful research too. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I swore I had commented on these cards already. They are really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...