Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tulip Time - Holland, Michigan



The Michigan Historic Site Marker on this postcard tells the story of the Dutch in Michigan:
On February 9, 1847, The Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte and a band of Hollanders founded the city of Holland. Within two years, the other four original colonies - Graafschap, Zeeland, Vriesland, Overisel - had also been established. Plagued by illness and not accustomed to the task of clearing a wilderness, the settlers found their first year a hard one, but their suffering was to be repaid in the bountiful days ahead.
Holland, Michigan has held a has held a Tulip Time Festival in May since 1929. The festival is a celebration of Dutch heritage and culture. This year's celebration is particularly special because 2011 is the bicentennial anniversary of the birth of the founder of the Holland, Michigan, Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte.

The dates of the 2011 Tulip Time Festival are May 7-14. According to the tulip update of May 10, "The tulips are in full color in downtown Holland and blooming at about 80% in the rest of the city."

This video is a short documentary about growing Tulips in Holland, Michigan during the 1940s.



I'm participating in Signs, Signs




15 comments:

  1. I used to have a friend who lived in Holland, Michigan. I should have visited when she lived there. So many places in the U.S. that I haven't explored yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only place where i see real tulips around here is at Holland Tulips, a flower shop.:p

    Signs

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that's closer than going to netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at ottawa's Tulip Festival last year, maybe I should do a comparison visit to this one. It is probably about the same distance from Hamilton Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the tulips are fabulous in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like a sister City to Holland. I have not been to a Tulips Field, nice to know there's one in Michigan. There's one up in Skagit Valley, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tulips are my favourite. there are so many more varieties than one might imagine.
    I had forgotten about the ridged postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun - I want to explore that part of the state, and we've talked about taking my parents to visit since they love tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this time of year with all the flowers and colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fascinating, informative post! I knew nothing about a Dutch settlement in Michigan! Love that potcard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That so makes me want to visit there! Michigan is the only one of the 48 contiguous states where we haven't slept (in our RV)....now I have another reason to add to our 'must see when we get there' list.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting sign, and I'm sure all the tulips in bloom are a fabulous sight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flowers, that must be some sight. Interesting how the Dutch took their love of tulips with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really enjoyed reading your post...so interesting...and I learned something new. I can just imagine how beautiful the tulips are when they are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only imagine the view when the tulips are in full bloom. In Kenya the cutflower industry is big and the flowers are sent mainly to Europe and big neighbouring countries in Africa. By the way, my sister is crazy about postcards and stamps, too.


    MamaGirl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...