Sunday, May 3, 2009

Postcard Collecting: Then & Now


Recently I bought some 1950s issues of Post Card Collector News. In honor of National Postcard Week (NPCW is celebrated the first week of May in the United States), I am posting copies of some postcard collecting articles written by Bob Hendricks in 1958 on my postcardy.com website. I have four parts of a six part series of articles aimed at beginning postcard collectors: Part 1 Hobby Review, Part 2 How and What?, Part 5 Specializing, and Part 6 Public Relations. These articles sound surprisingly current--except for the prices mentioned.

The postcard shown here was published about 1912-1913 by Bergman. Except for a period during WWI, the postage rate for postcards remained at 1¢ until the beginning of 1952 when it was raised to 2¢. Although collectors were lamenting higher prices for postage and cards in the 1950s, the prices of that era seem ridiculously low today.

5 comments:

  1. How perfectly delightful! What a wonderful postcard. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am off to read you articles! I'm sure that I'll be swooning! I'm glad to see this post! I was worried that you were sick:) Will you be doing a scavenger hunt this month? Do you think that you could tell me what it is early so that I can post on the same day that you set up your Mr. Linky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. May Postcard Scavenger Hunt topic will be FISH (or fishing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote my fishy post and will post it tomorrow for PFF so that nobody will miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of those Mastercard commercials - postcard: $1. Stamp: 27 cents. Receiving a postcard from a friend: priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...