Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Postcard Scavenger Hunt #3 – Fish

This is my monthly Postcard Scavenger Hunt for May. If you are interested in participating, please read about how it works on my Announcing the Postcard Scavenger Hunt posting.

NOTE: You don't have to post today. The deadline is really at the end of the month so there is plenty of time to post. You also can put the permalink to an older post on the theme into Mister Linky.

The theme for this month is FISH. Here are some from my postcard collection to inspire you.

The Fisherman's Prayer

Lord, give me grace to catch a fish
So large that even I,
In talking of it afterwards,
May never need to lie
Again!




A Pair of Beauties in the Sunshine City, St. Petersburg, Florida

Tarpon are one of the big fish of Florida. They are usually caught and released. I like the classic attire on this woman, the camera slung over her shoulder, and the fact that she is not a scantily clad pin-up. It looks like the publisher was trying to appeal to both sexes with this postcard.


Interior of a Salmon Cannery. Daily Capacity 60 Tons.
No additional description on the back. Published by C. P. Johnston Co., Seattle, Washington.



"Fishing is always good at Lake Corpus Christi State Park, Mathis, Texas. Catfish, Bass, and Crappie are only a few of the many species that make this lake so popular."



This is an exaggeration postcard by Nyce Manufacturing Co.



Walleye Pike

"This fresh water fish is the most eagerly sought of all game fish species. Well distributed throughout all Lake States and Canada."



Minnesota Game Fish: Northern Pike, Black Crappie, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Walleye. Walleye is the Minnesota State Fish.

The 2009 Minnesota fishing opener is this weekend, May 9. I've never been on a fishing trip, but I like all the funny and exaggerated fish postcards. If you are interested in fishing or like videos, be sure to watch the Minnesota fishing video. It's actually quite humorous.



Mr. Linky widget has been removed at Mr. Linky's request. Here is a list of the participants in the Fsh Postcard Scavenger Hunt:

9 imajica http://imajication.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/postcard-scavenger-hunt-drying-fish/
8 Wild Postcards http://www.wildpostcards.com/2009/05/diving-at-silver-springs-florida/
7 Viridian's postcard blog http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/2009/05/fishy.html
6 Lara http://www.larascards.blogspot.com
5 Sheila http://apostcardaday.blogspot.com/2009/05/map-cards-wisconsin.html
4 A Canadian Family http://acanadianfamily.com/2009/05/09/vintage-postcards-codfish-at-shippigan-shippaganshippegan/
3 Judy http://judyspostcardsplus.blogspot.com/
2 Robin http://robinsbluenest.typepad.com/robins_nest_blue/2009/05/promise-me.html
1 Marie http://www.cpaphilblog.com/2009/05/gone-fishin-postcard-friendship-friday.html


10 comments:

  1. Aahahaaa...I LOVE your post! Oh, how droll. I am sitting here giggling to myself just now. If my children were in the same room, they'd think I had gone nuts. Thank you for sharing these wonderful postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always a fish story. We have some pretty funny ones in our family.
    This is my first time on this post.
    Came over by way of Terry--Lady Liberty Patriot and Marcie.

    PFF,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy....those are some fish tales.
    I love your fishy postcards.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~<@))))<~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh!! this is fun! :D
    I will come up with a fishy post soon ;)

    imajica is imajicated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my PFF blog and I did link that fish postcard to your scavenger hunt.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of cards on the theme! I was just lucky to have received the one I did - just in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, fun to see your cards. I finally found one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh!! I made a Fish post finally!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting and sense of humor thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe the salmon cannery postcard was a cheap knockoff. I have a complete set with printing on both sides. at the upper left front there is the number 330. at the loer right corner is 7A-H3961. on the top of the back of the item it says " Adams Nes Co.Seattle, Wash." in the middle of the card it says " Genuine curteich-Chicago "C.T. Art Colortone" post card ( Reg.U.S. Pat Off.) " I think yours might be more rare, like if it was a forgery and early mail fraud on the frontier, what do you thonk?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...