Saturday, April 9, 2011

North American Wildflower Stamps





These are two postcards in Cartwheel Company's Stamp Collector Series™. These cards reproduce two of the stamps from the 1992 Wildflowers Issue, the Harlequin Lupine and Shooting Star. Here is the description of the Wildflowers Issue from Arago: People, Postage & The Post, an educational website about United States stamps:
Fifty colorful, blooming native plants dotted the philatelic landscape with the 29-cent Wildflowers commemorative stamps issued July 24, 1992, in Columbus, Ohio, host city for the AmeriFlora '92 International Floral and Garden Exposition. Each of the fifty states can claim one or more of the lovely wildflowers represented on the stamps.

The stamps were issued in panes of fifty different designs. The selvage of each pane includes a promotional message for a special Wildflower album, featuring fifty mint stamps and sixty-four pages of informative text and colorful artwork. Designed by Karen Mallary of Anacortes, Washington, the stamps were produced by Ashton-Potter America, Inc., in the offset lithography process.
All fifty of the wildflowers stamps are pictured on the Arago website.

I have a couple of other wildflowers postcards from this series. I don't know if all of stamps from the Wildflowers Issue were reproduced on postcards. This postcard series would have benefited from better art directing and editing. Even "wildflowers" is misspelled on the front of the card as two words, and the description on the back doesn't make sense.

I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog




11 comments:

  1. I think only other places have that kind of postcards, I have tons of mail collected but I only found one flower stamp. Nice entry

    http://www.picturemyworld.info/2011/04/sunday-stamps/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 'flowers' on stamps from over adozen countries including the USA but not these. My postcards seem much more mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how misspelled words aren't noticed before printing? I don't mind it but sometimes it just ruins the postcard.

    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link to the Arago website - very useful. And thank you for participating. I should remember these stamps - and I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am wondering if "wild flowers" is used here as the lesser used alternative spelling? Wikipedia seems to allow for either version now...whatever the spelling, the stamps and cards are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of wildflowers are more beautiful than their tendered counterpart. :)

    My Sunday Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wildflowers are such beautiful plants when they dot the landscapes of our states. Beautiful stamp.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting series of stamps, the harlequin must look stunning in the wild. The postcard really brings out its colour. Thanks for the link, what a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful stamp and thanks for sharing those information, great post! have a great week! -Postcrossing Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suppose they could be better designed, but still the colours are beutiful and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I see my proof-reading is no better than the card publisher's. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...