Saturday, March 7, 2009

Daylight Savings Time


You never know what you will find on the Internet. Today I started looking at the links to Postcard Friendship Friday on
cpaphilblog.com and I got as far as phil's photo of a mailman. When I saw that I immediately thought "Library of Congress." So I went to that website and started searching for photos of mail box, mailbox, post card, and postcard (searches with the two different spellings produce different results). I found some interesting photos of those things that I will save for a later time.

Since Daylight Savings Time starts tomorrow, I was really excited to find an old 1917 United Cigar Stores Company poster urging people to "Sign and Mail one of these Post Cards to Your Congressman at Washington and help make it a National Law to SET THE CLOCK ONE HOUR AHEAD." The United States did adopt Daylight Savings Time in 1918.



Below is an enlarged detail of the postcard appearing at the top left of the poster. The message side of the postcard says: "If I have more Daylight I can work longer for my country. We need every hour of light. As a voter in your district I favor the immediate passage of the Daylight Saving bill by Congress."

3 comments:

  1. You have to wonder about the motives of the United Cigar Store Company. Were they as altruistic as they claimed? Or was business slacking off in the late afternoon as the sun went down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is odd that it was a cigar company that initiated this particular bill! What a fascinating piece of history. Thank you for sharing the detail too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The message "If I have more Daylight I can work longer for my country" in 1917,is really very patriotic.i like this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...