Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Orange Blossom Specials Trains

I think this is probably the prettiest train postcard, at least in the U.S. According to the back of the card: "THE ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIALS of the Seaboard Railway provide the only Diesel electric Pullman service between eastern cities and east and west coast Florida." The trains look very streamlined on this postcard, but they used heavy cars and were not really streamlined.
A fiddle tune inspired by this train, the"Orange Blossom Special", was written by Ervin T. Rouse in 1938. It is considered the best known fiddle tune of the twentieth century. Many artists have recorded this song. Bill Monroe recorded and popularized the tune in 1942. Johnny Cash recorded an album titled "Orange Blossom Special" that included this song in 1965.


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous; the colors are really nicely preserved. I am jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a very streamlined and modern train! I'm about to listen to Johnny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome graphics!
    Makes me want to reach up and snag a few of those beautiful oranges... of course, I'd have to reference the cocktail postcard to make good use of the fruit!
    Hope you're having a wonderful week...
    ~blessings~
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card and great looking trains! A shame they didn't really look like that. I loved the song too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wahou !
    you know, I love all vintage postcards since I see them in Chris's blog.
    Your postcard of trains makes me dream...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...