Thursday, October 22, 2009

PFF - Circleville Pumpkin Show

The 103rd annual Circleville Pumpkin Show is being held October 21-24, 2009. This is the oldest and largest food festival in Ohio. There are seven parades, pumpkin displays, and many pumpkin events. Crowds are estimated at 100,000 per day.

The first postcard shows the 1960 Miss Pumpkin Show Queen, Peggy Clark. (If you look closely, a John F. Kennedy campaign poster is visible in the top right corner). The Pumpkin Show website has pictures of Past Miss Pumpkin Show Queens, dating back to 1933.




The second postcard shows "The World's Largest Pumpkin Pie" which is baked annually for the show by Lindsey's Bake Shop.



The back of this postcard gives the following recipe:

80-lb. cooked pumpkin
36-lb. sugar
3-lb. corn starch
13-gal. milk
1-lb. pumpkin spice
1-lb. salt
12-doz. eggs
30-lb. pie dough

Bake 6 Hrs. Cool 6 Hrs. and Serve.




14 comments:

  1. What fun! Great post for this time of year and for Ohio! Do they get their fill of pumpkin do you suppose? !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "largest" pumpkin pie is pretty small. Around these parts, they bake pies the size of swimming pools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Castroville, Ca has an artichoke queen, which Marilyn Monroe won in 1948, so we should take these fruit and vegetable contests seriously. They may lead to fame and fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pass the whipped cream Lynn! I'm going to take on that monster pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting card. Great piece of History.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing postcards, postcardy! Thanks for visiting me at my PFF post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learnt a lot today! The event looks great fun, but do those giant pumpkins taste good? I'm always a bit dubious about giant fruit and vegetables. One day I'll get to taste a pumpkin pie - all we have is pumpkin soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awful lot of pie! Would it fit in my oven? NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys out there in blogland are making me wish I lived somewhere cool. I want to go to the Pumpkin show. I can't believe they have to use a crane to move those big boys. Love the 60s era card. That is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to sit in the middle of that pie and eat my way out of it! Naturally, I would wear a crown. What a fun post! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the pumpkin queen is just stunning and so are the pumpkins. We haven't carved a real one in a couple of years but I think this year we will :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You asked on my post today if I've ever done art on a postcard. The answer is yes:::
    http://oldpaperart.blogspot.com/2009/08/levitation-for-friend.html

    Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great postcards! What a pie! That must be one big oven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice detail, the Kennedy poster. Also love her necklace, and the tiled bakery floor. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...