Friday, September 24, 2010

PFF - Western Washington Fair, Puyallop





The Western Washington Fair, more commonly known as the Puyallup Fair, was first held in 1900. It started out small and has grown much larger over the years. It ranks as one of the ten largest fairs in the world. The fair is located south of Seattle and east of Tacoma and runs annually for 17 days in September. The Puyallup Fair dates for 2010 are September 10-26.

These same two postcards are shown and described on the Roller Coasters of the Pacific Northwest website. The first picture shows the wooden roller coaster ride, Giant Ferris Wheel, Octopus, Fly-O-Plane, kiddie rides, Flyers, and some independent attractions.The second midway picture shows the wooden Coaster Thrill Ride, the Old Mill ride, Whip, Caterpillar, and the Fun House. These were permanent rides built around 1936. All of these rides except the Coaster Thrill Ride were destroyed by fire in 1970. A three-year roller coaster reconstruction project began in 2009.





10 comments:

  1. I watched the video in the hope that there would be a commentary, but no. So it looks like I still have no idea how to pronounce Puyallop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to regularly attend the Puyallup fair as a kid. I had no idea it's one of the largest in the world!

    As far as how to pronounce it - try pew al up. That's pew-like stinky, al-the name of a person, up-as up in the air.

    BTW it is spelled Puyallup. The name is a Native American tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea it was one of the largest fairs either - and it's not too late to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we lived in Gig Harbor, we would go to the Puyallop fair. It took me a long time to figure out how to pronounce Pew al up, too! lol

    It looked a lot different than on this postcard! I didn't realize it had started so many years ago. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love these! Our State Fair starts Friday. (Texas) We go every year. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great fair. I love the first card, there is so much going on in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great cards! i love crowd scenes too - am amazed by the sheer number of cars (and therefore car owners) in the background of the first one! i assume that shot is a little later than the second one? happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered where the postcards friendship friday logo went to. I put mine up early this time

    http://inaholdingpattern.blogspot.com/2010/09/washington-blvd-detroit-postcard.html

    but was not sure where to link it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a hard one to pronounce and took me awhile to learn. Every time I mispronounced it my co-workers would correct me. Thankfully! I do pronounce it correctly now.

    I can hear the music " DO THE PYALLYUP"

    FUN POST CARDS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards! V. sad that most of the original rides were destroyed in a fire. Glad that they're reconstructing the old roller coaster.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...