Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vintage Locomotive Stamps



These maximum cards were issued in 1987 by the U.S. Postal Service. The stamps are from a booklet of five 22-cent stamps featuring vintage locomotives. They were issued in Baltimore, Maryland, on October 1, 1987, the first day of National Stamp Collecting Month.

The stamps were in booklets containing two panes each of the five designs:
  1. Stourbridge Lion - In 1829 was the first actual locomotive to run in America.
  2. Best Friend of Charleston - In 1830 was the first locomotive to draw a train in America at speeds up to 21 mph.
  3. John Bull - First ran in 1831 and is the oldest complete engine preserved in the U.S.
  4. Brother Jonathan - Built in 1832 and was the world's fastest locomotive for many years.
  5. Gowan & Marx - Built in 1939 and was one of the most powerful of early locomotives, hauling haul 40 times its own weight.










I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog


9 comments:

  1. These are fantastic cards! A great collection. I just posted my mem entry - sorry I'm a bit late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great set of trains; I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so amazing! Im soo jealous now! I have these stamps in used condition, but the cards are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful drawings, what great names the trains have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son,who is an avid train fan enjoy looking at your stamps.

    My Sunday Stamp#6

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards, the detail is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are great stamps, I have recently bought a book of First issued stamps. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are really lovely cards. There were some issued by the Royal Mail quite similar but I've given most away. Possibly one or two left.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...