Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pure Food and Drug Laws Stamp



This stamp features a portrait of Harvey W. Wiley who was a chemist instrumental in the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 and was the first commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration. The stamp was issued on June 27, 1956 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Pure Food and Drug Laws.

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 prohibited the interstate transport of food which had been "adulterated", with that term referring to the addition of fillers of reduced "quality or strength", coloring to conceal "damage or inferiority," formulation with additives "injurious to health," or the use of "filthy, decomposed, or putrid" substances. The act also prohibited the interstate marketing of "adulterated" drugs and banned "misbranding" of food and drugs. (source: History of the Food and Drug Administration)




Food doesn't seem to be a very common subject on stamps, especially prepared food. Searching online, I found a blog featuring a series called La France Comme J’aime which honors “les saveurs de nos regions”, or “the tastes of our regions.” Another blog I found showed some Traditional Indonesian Foods, also another post here. Malaysia issued some stamps of Traditional Festive Food that are shown on the Philately News website.

The only stamp I have with a picture of food is a Finnish blueberry stamp:


I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog




7 comments:

  1. I suspect we owe Mr. Wiley a bigger debt than we think. Imagine how sick people could get in the "good old days." Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fed blueberries on a regular basis. I'm told they are good for me - I agree.
    It's not a subject I know a lot about but how does the feeding of growth hormones to US cattle square with the Food and Drug administration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a thoughtful choice for this week's theme - excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great maxicard. I remember seeing the Finnish blueberry stamp, they do look appetising, and I found blueberries on a Canadian stamp too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A man justly celebrated by a stamp, we are lucky to live in days where the quality of our food is monitored. No need to worry about blueberries freshly picked, I'd like a slice of that pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting post. And the blueberry pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...