Saturday, December 14, 2013

Santa Claus Has Arrived



I was originally attracted to this postcard by the picture of the children playing in the snow. I was really impressed when I turned it over and saw the message on the back:
Toys! Toys!
Santa Claus has arrived at Searles Mer Co
Call & See Him!


The card is postmarked and mailed to New Brighton, Minnesota in 1912. New Brighton is a suburb a few miles from where I live. The only parts of it that I have seen look like a typical modern suburb, so I was really surprised to see that they even had a store there 100 years ago. I discovered that New Brighton was quite busy back then. A settlement that included a general store, school and mission church was established there in 1858 (the same year that Minnesota became the 32nd state). When the Village of New Brighton was incorporated in 1891, fourteen passengers trains passed daily. You can read New Brighton's history here.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Your link was added in successfully! I'm so sorry you had trouble with it. I, too love this postcard and especially the message on the back. I also love the history behind it. So very lovely.

    Happy Postcard Friendship Friday and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow is pretty but can't deal with the cold that goes along with it. Love "Santa Claus has arrived".
    "CALL" and see him. I have many old post cards with the expression "Call again". For the younger generation's information, it had nothing to do with Smart phones. It simply meant "Come by" or "Send another card my way". Remember "Calling Cards"?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...