Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Highway 61 Revisited



I chose this postcard of the entrance sign at Fish Fry Lodge for my post because The Sepia Saturday 102 prompt has a fish sign. The title of this card is Souvenir of NORTH SHORE DRIVE, Duluth (Highway 61) Minnesota, and the following information is printed on the back:
The entrance to FISH FRY LODGE on the shore of Lake Superior, 10 miles from downtown Duluth. 24 modern cabins housing from 2 to 8 people, also twin beds. Serving no beer. Completely Modern Cabins with hot and cold water, May 1 to Nov. 1. Dining Room Service all year. Golf and Riding facilities nearby.
I borrowed the title of this post from Bob Dylan's song Highway 61 Revisited. I always have found Bob Dylan hard to understand, so I wasn't aware of his song until I started researching Highway 61. Bob Dylan was born in Duluth and grew up in northern Minnesota.

U.S. Highway 61 runs north from New Orleans, Louisiana to Wyoming, Minnesota. Before 1991, U.S. Highway 61 ran 1,714 miles (2,758 km) from New Orleans through Duluth, Minnesota all the way to the Canadian border. The highway has been shortened to 1,400 miles (2,300 km) ending now in the city of Wyoming, Minnesota at an intersection with Interstate 35. Now the portion between Wyoming, Minnesota and Duluth has been turned back to local jurisdiction or supplanted by Interstate 35. The portion of Highway 61 north of Duluth is now Minnesota State Highway 61, part of the Minnesota State Highway system.



When I originally wrote this post, there was a video on YouTube of Bob Dylan singing the song in 1965. That video has since been blocked because of copyright infringements. You can read the lyrics to Highway 61 Revisited here. Wikipedia has an explanation of the meaning of the song here.


For More Vintage Images, Visit Sepia Saturday




21 comments:

  1. Yes, Bob Dylan lyrics can be obscure! Good links. Fish frys are still big in some parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duluth used to have a transporter bridge but this was replaced by the lift bridge. As our local town Middlesbrough's transporter bridge was 100 years old last month I like to keep track of what happens to others.
    Your referenc to golf sold the Fish Lodge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s quite a sign! Difficult to miss I should think. I still find Bob Dylan obscure I’m afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, that link to the bob dylan is blocked in "my country" due to copy rite infringement. But I always liked bob dylan and i didn't think it was supposed to make "sense" in the usual meaning of the word. I guess i will go find a version that is allowed in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the U.S. and the link was working a couple of days ago but not now. I was actually surprised that the video was on YouTube for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to listen to the song here (there is an ad first)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xex07q_bob-dylan-highway-61-revisted-carto_music

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was able to listen to the song here (there is an ad first)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xex07q_bob-dylan-highway-61-revisted-carto_music

    ReplyDelete
  8. One could not miss that sign for sure. Very interesting. I am not A Bob fan so don't know of that song. Perfect for this SS for sure.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent choice! Giant fish and Dylan too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is always such an adventurous feel to American highways - whether they be 61 or their more famous cousin 66. And what a great fish image - it wins the chips as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect image for this week's theme - as always! I hadn't heard of Highway 61. It sounds like it might make an intriguing road tour - almost all new country to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What A coincidence ! I am wearing a t_Shirt I bought at a Dylan gig once......It says "HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED" on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great sign. Nothing like these good greasy MN or WI fish fries. Agree, although I am really familiar with Dylan, his songs were odd. And yes he was a native MN. A interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think we ever had Fish Frys in the UK, but we've fish and chip shops everywhere. Love the sign - there's no way you'd miss it! Jo PS: I'm not good with Bob's lyrics either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Serving no beer" made me smile.

    Even after the Wikipedia explanation, I'm not sure I entirely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dylan's "Higway 61" is actually available for $5. this month on Amazon as a download.

    Isn't it funny what used to draw travelers. Now a sign must say Free WiFi and HBO to get anyone to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect take on the prompt- and I love to travel the old highways- we stay off the interstate- nothing to see there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It just amazes me the distances in the States. Google Earth informs me the full length of New Zealand from the very tip on the North Island to the bottom of the South Island is only 2125 kilometers and even the shortened version of Highway 61 is 2300kms! Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are both great postcards. They are both flashy in their own ways. I bet that place had great fried fish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fish and chicken, eh??
    what are all those white things around the sign, that look like they're mail boxes, or something...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is neat! I can just imagine 8 twin beds lined up so nobody got any ideas, lol. Great post, as always.

    As for Bob Dylan, I can understand the words fine, but not always the meaning behind them.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...